Tuesday 3 September 2013

Chapter 20: Excelsior...

Excelsior. I've  heard the word before, but it wasn't until yesterday I knew what it meant when I watched, Silver Linings Playbook. Anyone know what it means? It is New York's motto meaning, "Onward" and "Upwards". I instantly loved it...
Bradley Cooper's character is all over the place. He suffers from bipolar depression and has to adjust to the transition of life outside of the institution he was in for 8 months. One of his coping mechanisms was repeatedly saying the word, "excelsior, excelsior." To which his father asks why he keeps saying this word? Bradley Cooper's character, Pat explains:
"It means, you know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna take all this negativity and I'm gonna use it as fuel, I'm gonna find a silver lining, that's what I'm gonna do. And that's no bullshit. That's no bullshit. That takes work and that's the truth."
Since hearing this word I have been inspired to do the same thing as Pat's character. Saying this word before even taking action on it fills me with positivity just because of the way Pat was so enthusiastic about the word in the film.

As you all have read previously, I love my films and I can be very influenced and touched in many ways by what I see. Whether this be a character, the actor, or the script itself... another character in this film is Tiffany, played by Jennifer Lawrence. She also plays a troubled woman who lost her husband and dealt with her grievance by sleeping with people.The both become friends and learn to accept their flaws along the way. For me were both unique in their own ways, but Cooper's character stood out the most to me. He had to go to an institute because he caught his wife sleeping with another man and almost beat the guy up to death (sorry if I have ruined this for anyone who planned on watching it). But, is this not a normal reaction? If you caught you partner sleeping around with someone else, would you not react irrationally? Call me a softy, but I think it was a bit far fetched sending him to an institute for a reaction most people would have in that situation. Am I right?

Anyway, when he gets out he goes to all lengths to better himself so he can repair his relationship with his wife. He loses weight, eats healthily, tries to stay positive and takes an interest in all of her work. He goes to all this trouble to change himself and take all negatives and make them positive. Sure he struggles a lot of the time but he tries.

Now, everyone has a bad day, or a bad time in their lives. This may last a day, this may last a year, this may seem to last forever. But only we can do something about the way we feel. Only we can adjust who we are to be the people we want to be. Pat wanted to get back together with his wife (I won't tell you that part, don't worry ;)) so he worked on doing that and the one thing that kept him going was what people? EXCELSIOR!

To be positive, you have to surround yourself with positive things. This may be your family, your partner or a word - it's all the above for me personally. But I know what word I will say to remind myself of this and I don't think I need to finish that sentence for you to know :).

Here's a little teaser of the movie to give you a feel for what it's like:


I'd highly recommend you watch it because it's worth it!
I shall talk to you again next Tuesday peeps and this time I promise :).
And remember, excelsior!

T.

No comments:

Post a Comment