Tuesday 26 November 2013

Chapter 24: In Her Shoes

Heard of the film? I watched it last week for the first time in ages and forgot how good it was. Here's a brief little synopsis for those of you who haven't seen it and think it's just your average "chick flick":

Starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Colette, these two
play sisters who are polar opposites. Colette as the
serious, business type who has her own place and a
killer rack of shoes and Diaz as the fancy free, live
for the moment and scrounge off of her sister type.
Together, they are each others best friends... and worst enemies.
After a fight that tears them a part, they are reunited
by their long lost Grandmother who was outcasted
by their father after their mother passed. This is a story of family, love, loss, friendship and sisterhood that will be sure to have you gripped from start to finish.

Like my synopsis? Always fancied myself as a film critic... but that's another story. Now for those of you that know me, I do love a good film - even a chick flick (shock horror). In actual fact, I think Cameron Diaz is a fine actress, one who has really impressed me in recent years with films such as, My Sister's Keeper (2009) and more recently, The Councelor (2013). 

What I particularly love about, In Her Shoes, is that it displays all the conventions that happen in everyday life and specifically, within the family. Families are the closest people that we will ever have in our lives and it isn't unheard of that families can argue and fall out from time to time. One scene shows Toni Colette (Rose) quickly grabbing a pair of her Jimmy Choo's to wear to a wedding. When she puts them on in the car on the way, she discovers the heel is broken and has been mended with used chewing gum - nice! Ladies, we've all been there. Probably not with a pair of Jimmy Choo's... maybe with a New Look pair. I know I have. When me and my sister would share a wardrobe we would always take each other's clothes. One time my sister borrowed my jumper and got bleach on it! I didn't care though... it was an old jumper.

There is one scene where Rose gets married and Cameron Diaz (Maggie) recites a poem by E. E. Cummings before she takes her vows:


The first time I watched this movie, this scene made me sad because of the way Maggie was saying the poem. When I watched it last week, I was sad because the words mean something to me now. Poetry has never been my strong point, but a poem about love doesn't always have to be about someone we have fallen in love with. It can also be about a love that has been unconditional from the beginning of time until forever. The love of a Sister, a Brother, a Father or a Mother. The words mean something to me because I carry another heart now and she also carries mine.

Although  I love Cameron Diaz, Toni Colette is also a fantastic actress and as many of you know, her major breakthrough was in, Muriel's Wedding (1994). So I'm going to leave you with a song taken from it's soundtrack and a song that is close to my hearts.

Until next time.
T.


No comments:

Post a Comment