Tuesday 11 February 2014

Chapter 32: I Was Dreaming When I Wrote This...

Holllllaaaa. Hope you're all doing well and have had a great week :). This week I'm going to be talking about music... a subject I'm probably the least confident with as the years have gone by. I feel I have quite an eclectic taste in music...

I first go into it when I was 10... Me and my friend would meet up in Walsall most weekend and by a new single from HMV. Crazy to think that's what people used to do (or was that just me?). You're probably thinking, 'What the? You used to fetch a bus into Walsall to buy a single?!' Yes people, I had a Walkman... and let's remember I was 10 and back then I would have had to have been pretty loaded to buy an album! It all started with Bewitched... my FAVOURITE girl band and I'm not ashamed to admit that if a Bewitched song came on in a club today, I'm pretty sure I'd get up, Irish Dance and sing the lyrics... word for word. A few years on I got into more RnB and Hip Hop ('cause I was well gangsta). TLC then became my new favourite girl band. I'm not gonna lie, I still love them. 'No Scrubs' came on the Radio the other day and I surprised myself that I knew all the lyrics still... EVEN Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopez's rapping bit. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I didn't memorise raps, because I did and I still do, ha! I loved Ja Rule as well and my sister will occasionally take this piss and say, "Remember when you used to be a Chav and be proper into Hip Hop and gangster music?" Err to this day I still don't see that as Chavvy, I still like it... ha! My sisters loved the like of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey growing and I remember they used to drive me mental when i got ready for school as they would listen to one song over and over and over again. One was Celine Dion, Think Twice. My sister should have bloody thought twice before playing that repeatedly as I would have sooner listened to Slipknot - might have got me out of bed a bit faster!

When I hit 15, I started getting into Indie and Rock music. I listened to The Verve and Red Hot Chili Peppers were among my favourites. I then got into Blur, Oasis and The Stone Roses which then ignited my passion for learning the guitar. Granted, I was shit. But I still loved it. My first proper concert was The White Stripes and to this day I'm a devout fan. I don't care what people say about the fact they probably need a Bassist. In my opinion, they don't. They do well with what they have and are still one of the best live bands I've ever seen. However, hearing the news that Tilda Swinton has replaced Meg White was very disappointing as I've never rated her as an actress (she's a weirdo) and no one can replace Meg!

I listened to Radio 1 yesterday and Grimmy was talking about how he seen Prince on Sunday night - what a dream! Prince has to be on of the most iconic artists in the music industry that you would love to be able to say, "I seen him live". Grimmy beamed about how amazing he was and how he was a real entertainer. Luckily, I got to see Oasis before they split at the Ricoh Arena and they are definitely a band I'm happy to say I've seen! Back in 2012 I was delighted to hear the The Cure were headlining at Reading Festival and immediately bought tickets. They were the only reason (next to the Foo's) that I wanted to go. The Cure singing 'Friday I'm In Love' on a Friday? This was too good! Reading came and I got so excited to see them only to have a massive fucking disappointment... BARELY any interaction with the crowd and were one of the worst bands I'd ever seen live. SO bad, that I sat on the floor and fell asleep for about 15 minutes... THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT?! Needless to say, if anyone ever wants to see The Cure, I can't say many good things about them. The same goes for Bob Dylan. My Dad bought me and him tickets as a Christmas present as we are both massive fans. Dylan is very nostalgic for me and my sisters as Dad would play his albums on long car journeys and his voice is like velvet to me... Velvet that lights up about 60 times a day, but velvet nonetheless! We had side sitting seats and were quite high up so it was a decent view, but oh my God was he dull. He didn't speak to the audience ONCE. Literally sat on a stool with the odd change of guitar and sang constantly and might I add, it wasn't the best. This was a huge disappointment for my Dad also... one of his favourite all time singers let him and all of his fans down a bag full. Very annoying when you pay a stupid amount of money for what you thought would be an immense performance. It's amazing how we can build something up so much, only to be let down... such as life really!

As for music these days, I'd like to say I'm up to date with new sounds, but to be quite honest, I'm ecstatic to recognize a song when I'm out as I listen to the radio very rarely. I will say however I'm a big fan of The 1975 and Bastille.

There are a number of different artists I would love to be able to say I've seen. Alive or dead:

















Those are just a few... I have MANY more. I love hearing about new music people are listening to or simply hearing someone shares the same taste as me! Let me know who you would LOVE to see live whether they are here today or not. Contact me on the usual places on here, Facebook or Twitter.

Right now I will leave you with one of my favourite Jimi Hendrix songs, Little Wing - Enjoy!

Have a great week peeps.
T. x

No comments:

Post a Comment