Tuesday 22 April 2014

Chapter 41: Winter is Coming...

For those of you reading the blog title and thinking, "What the? Winter has just finished?" Then you need to get a clue and get on Game of Thrones! Remember how I had an addiction with Lost? And True Blood... and Breaking Bad. Well this is my new one. I have been wanting to get into it for ages but I couldn't as I am a Virgin customer and therefore, I don't have Sky Atlantic. It also wasn't on Netflix which again as you all know, I'm a big fan of. I waited it out, just in case it would magically appear but unfortunately, Netflix doesn't tend to view many HBO television series. So I looked at purchasing the box set because I got desperate... it was all people were talking about at work and I wanted in. Turns out I wasn't that desperate though. For series 1-3 on Amazon it was ranging at about £40. I wasn't willing to do that shit knowing that series 4 was about to air in the UK and HBO had signed them on for a 5th and 6th series. I COULDN'T WAIT ANY LONGER GOD DAMN IT! Eventually, I found a way... (I won't say how on here, but I'm sure you can guess).

So my journey began about three weeks ago and now my time consists of getting up in the morning, going to work and fantasising about getting home to watch it. The programme had me hooked from the opening credits. The soundtrack literally sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it and sometimes I watch the entire 2 minutes of credits JUST to hear the music. It goes a little something like this (if you haven't watched it, you may still have heard it) - GoT Theme Tune.

What is Game of Thrones about you say? Here's a synopsis for you:

Yeah that's right, that's Sean Bean in the picture. Bloody love him! He was enough reason for me to watch this in the first place! Anywho, Game of Thrones, AKA GoT, is about a battle between 9 families (The Stark's, Lannister's, Baratheon's, Targaryen's, Greyjoy's, Tully's, Arryen's, Tyrell's & Martell's) who all want the land of Wystereos and ultimately, the possession of the Iron Throne. Throw in a vast mix of family values, love stories, mythology and graphic war scenes and you have the perfect combination for a medieval drama.

The title, "Winter is Coming..." is the family saying belonging to The Stark's. The Lannister's have, "A Lannister Always Pays Their Debt's." And so on and so forth. As a woman I love looking at all the beautiful costumes, the dresses, the hair styling. I mean, it's kind of out of this world... it must take AGES to do the styling. Take a look at these:

 
Daenerys Targaryen. Her beauty offends my eyes. 

Cersei Lannister. Bitch that must have taken AGES to do that fro!

However, as a Tomboy I love watching the action scenes, the gore and hearing some good ol' bad ass dialogue. My FAVOURITE character is this dude:


Lord Tyrion Lannister, also known to many as "The Imp". The most sarcastic and clever character in the whole show who spends the majority of his time insulting people and paying for sex. Now, when I first seen him, I just thought he was quite a funny character, but as time has gone on I have developed a wee crush on him! I know if he existed in real life we would eat lots, drink plenty and have a right laugh. He's basically the type of guy I'd love to be able to go up the pub with! 

Now a lot of people I know who haven't watched the programme say, "Oh but doesn't it have a lot of sex in it?" Yes it does. But if you know your HBO, you'll know that about 99% their shows contain a lot of sexual content. Sex and The City (clue is in the title folks), True Blood, Girls. The list goes on. Let's just say this show has the perfect combination of violence, sexual content, bad language, humour and drama. 

The one thing that has really narked me about this show (because pretty much everyone I know is into it) are the spoilers. I avoid the internet as much as I can when it comes to stuff like this and if anyone spoils shit for me, I get kind of angry. Someone I know actually ruined the beginning of Season 4 for me by revealing what had happened on... a Facebook status. I'm not being funny, it's all good and well avoiding actual websites that give away the plot, but silly dipshits doing it on Facebook is another thing. Their response was, "Well don't go on Facebook." Now, Facebook is a medium where you share what's on your mind, hence your status saying, "What's on your mind?" in grey font before typing. Now if the forefront of your mind is telling you to ruin a show that everyone is watching at the moment and not everyone is as far on as you, well, you're a knob. (If you're reading this, you know who you are). 


RANT OVER. Point is, this show is definitely worth a watch and I have tried my best to sell it to you as much as I can without giving too much away. Ladies, if you still need convincing, here are a few of the men you get to drool over:

 Jamie Lannister.
 Robb Stark.
Jon Snow.

Sold? Thought so. If you are planning to watch it, don't plan - just do it! If you are currently watching it, say as far as Series 3 Episode 7, I'd love to know your thoughts on the programme on here, Facebook or tweet me, @triciabaxter. If you are any further, please DON'T contact me. Cheers!

Big love.
T. x

No comments:

Post a Comment